www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com

Gotham Workshop

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

During-Reading Questions.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Colombiankl
Rawrness in the making
Colombiankl

During-Reading Questions. Empty
PostSubject: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:07 pm

For each of the questions, post a reply with your answers.

Prologue-Scene 1

1. Using an encyclopedia or a book about mythology, look up the oracle at Delphi and the riddling Sphinx. Why are they important to the play?

2. What are your first impressions of Oedupus. Do you think he will prove to be a good leader? What would he be like as a friend or relative?

3. How do the Chorus and its leader feel toward Oedipus at the beginning of the play? Do their feelings change during these early scenes? Explain

4. Why does Oedipus believe that Tiresias and Creon are conspiring against him? What does this reaction indicate about his character?

5. What does Oedipus's quarrel with Tiresias lead you to expect will happen in the play?

Scenes 2-3

6. Do you think Creon is being truthful when he tells Oedipus why he has no interest in the throne? How is Creon's character different from Oedipus's?

7. How do Jocasta's attempts to reassure Oedipus backfire?

8. What is the topic of the choral ode that begins after Jocasta relunctantly agrees to summon the herdsman. How is this ode a reaction to Jocasta's disbelief in prophecy?

9. Exposition is how an author supplies information necassary for the audience to understand a story. Describe the use of exposition during scenes 2 and 3, particularly Jocasta's speech about her child and the information and the messenger offers.

10. How does Jocasta's reaction to the messenger's news differ from Oedipus's?

11. How does Oedipus describe himself to the Chorus at the end of Scene 3? Do you agree with his description? Why or why not?

Scene 4-Exodos

12. At what point during Oedipus's interrogation of the herdsman do you think Oedipus realizes the truth? Why do you think he presses on?

13. What actions are described by the second messenger? Do you think his speech is dramatically effective, or should these events have been shown onstage? Explain your reaction.

14. Why do you think Oedipus blinds himself instead of committing suicide?

15. How have the Chorus and its leader's feelings toward Oedipus changed? Do you share their feelings? Why or why not?

16. Why does Oedipus ask of Creon? Why is Creon reluctant to comply?

17. What kind of leader do you expect Creon to turn out to be?

Your Responses
Back to top Go down
Colombiankl
Rawrness in the making
Colombiankl

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm

1) They are important to the play because
  • The oracle set up Oedipus's horrible destiny
  • The Sphinx paved the way towards Oedipus becomming King, which is part of his destiny.

2) My first impression of Oedipus was that he was a powerful man that would get everything that he wanted. I thought that he would prove as a strong leader and be able to overcome any conflict. He actually seemed like a friend in the sense that he would protect every body.

3) I think, in the beginning of the play, the Chorus is kind of indifferent to Oedipus, but as time passes, they begin to respect him more, especially since he becomes King.

4) He believe Tiresias and Creon are conspiring against him because they are accusing him of the death of Lauis, and he doesn't believe them, even though it really is him. It shows that he has a lot of pride for himself at this point.

5) It leads me into thinking that everything Oedipus says turns against him

6) I don't think Creon is being truthful when he tells Oedipus that. I'm pretty sure that he's waiting for his chance to steal the throne and leave Oedipus powerless, he just doesn't want to worry Oedipus. He's not as rash as Oedipus, but I think he's more clever.

7) Her attempts to reassure Oedipus backfire because all of his hope rested on a herdsman.

8) It's talking about hoow the Chorus realized if divine prophecies cannot go unfulfilled and man's insolence unpunished, the Oediopus himself, whoever he is. must be weighed in the balance. Its a reaction to Jocasta's disbelief in prophecy because the Elders were shocked.

9) These expositions all reveal the truth to Oedipus in an inevitable manner.

10) Jocasta was horrified by it, mostly because I think that she knew all along, but didn't want to accept it. Meanwhile, Oedipus took it all in, and blinds himself from the truth.

11) He described himself as an unlucky man, and the only cupable person of sin. However, i disagree with this because he was destined to kill his father and wed his mother, so there was nothing he could do.

12) I think Oedipus was becomming aware of the truth, even before he interrogated the herdsman, but he continued pressing on so that he could have the entire truth from an eyewitness.

13)

Last edited by Colombiankl on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inad9-J

Inad9-J

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 pm

1. They are important because Oedipus did all of these and thats why he became king.

2. Oedipus is someone that doesn't like to be wrong and wants everyone to agree with him. I also think that he was not going to be a good relative or friend.

3. The Chorus and its leader felt respect for Oedipus at the begging of the play but later they don't agree with them.

4. He thinks that because they came together and both are acusing him, which means that he doesn't trust no one.

5. I think that what she said is ture and that everything she says would come true.

6. No, i think Creon is lying because you can tell that he has interestr in the throne and that he's not truthful.

7. Jocasta's attempts to reasure Oedipus backfire because he wanted her to tell him he was right.

8. Th choral ode tha begins after Jocasta agree to summon the herdman they are talking of how Laius died and the prophecy.

9. It all leads to the truth that Oedipus is the one that killed Oedipus and the son of Laius.

10. Jocasta's reaction differ from Oedipus because she realized what is happening and is horrofied by it, while Oedipus is clueless.

11. Oedipus describe himself to the Chorus as an unlucky men .

12. I think he realizes the truth when the herdsman say he found him and gave it to his "father". He just wanted to make sure that he was right.

13. The second messanger was nervious because he was telling what happen and what he saw.

14. I think Oedipus blinds himself instead of commiting suicide because he didn't wanted to abandon his daughters and leave them alone.

15. The Chorus and its leader's feeling have change because they noticed that Oedipus now thinks different.

16. Oedipus asks Creon to take over the throne and watch over his daughters.

17. I think that Creon is going to be a bad leader because he likes to have power and that corrupts people.
Back to top Go down
uriel20

uriel20

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:53 pm

1) The oracle and the riddling sphinx are both important to the play. Without either one the play would be completely different or could have not be written at all be Sophocles.
2) My first expression of Oedipus was that he would turn out to be a good leader.
3) The chorus at first are loyal to Oedipus and do as he says. However, as the plays progresses they begin to doubt him.
4) Oedipus came to this conclusion because he thought that they were preventing him from knowing who killed Lauis. What this should about him was that he is very determine to get what he wants.
5) What makes me think tha will happen is that Oedipus will learn the truth.
6) I dont thing Creon is being truthful when he said this. Somewhere in his personality he wants to take the throne away from Oedipus. His character is differs from Oedipus that he gets what he wants one way or another.
7) They backfire because Oedipus wants to know the truth and won't rest until he knows. He doesnt accepts her saying until he learned the truth later on the play.
Cool What it says the pain and confusion is still to come for Oedipus. That he will lose all hope from there and on.
9) The used of "Exposition' on scenes 2&3 led to the truth, Oedipus killed his father Lauis and is married to his mother Jocasta. Jocasta tells of her child that she and Lauis sent far away and the messenger of giving a baby to the king and queen of Corinth given by the Queen of Thebes.
10) Jocasta reaction differs from Oedipus that she decides to commited suicide and Oedipus blind himself from the truth and everything else.
11) I dont agree with his speech about himself. I think the fault should be put to his parents. They are the ones that make the prophecy come to live by sending far away and not knowing who where his real parents.
12) At the point that he hears that the baby was to be sent far away and was deliver to the King and Queen of Corinth. I think he keeps to press on because he wants to know the whole story and not be disturbed by it anymore.
13) The events describe by the second messenger was his being given a baby by the Queen of Thebes and sent far away just to escape a horrible prophecy. I think this scene would have been better if it was shown on stage. It would show how the scene would have seen and can be understand better.
14) I think Oedipus decides to blinf himself instead of commiting suicide because he wants to be blind from everything. He doesn't wants to died, but wants to be blind to not see anymore, and get away from the truth.
15) The chorus and its leader feelings have change completely because now they want for Oedipus to leave. They feel that its not right and should give up his title.
16) What Oedipus asked was for him to be taken far away from Thebes. To be very far away from here and to see his daughters one last time before he does. I think Creon is reluctant to reply because he thinks after everything that has happened this should be the last thing he should wish.
17) The leader I expect for Creon to be is someone who gets whatever he wishes. Either one way or the other. He will turn out to be a leader that might bring the fall of Thebes.

Last edited by uriel20 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
babyboo22

babyboo22

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 pm

1) THE ORACLE IS IMPORTANT TO THE PLAY BECAUSE OEDIPUS FULFILLED THE ORACLE AND THAT'S HOW HE BECAME KING.

2) MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF OEDIPUS IS THAT HE WOULDN'T BE A GOOD LEADER BECAUSE HE IS TOO PROUD OF HIMSELF AND DOESN'T REALIZE WHO HE REALLY IS.

3) THE CHORUS AND ITS LEADER FEELINGS DO CHANGE FOR OEDIPUS BECAUSE AT FIRST THEY THINK HE IS TOO STUBBORN TO REALIZE THE TRUTH; BUT BY THE END OF THEY PLAY THEY THINK HE HAS BECOME A BETTER PERSON AND WISER.

4) OEDIPUS THINK TIRESIAS AND CREON ARE CONSPIRING AGAINST HIM BECAUSE CREON ALWAYS WANTED THE THRONE SO OEDIPUS THOUGHT IT WAS ALL A PLAN TO BAN HIM. THIS REACTION SHOWS THAT OEDIPUS ISN'T VERY SOUND TO ADVICE FROM HIS CLOSE ONES. HE HEARS BUT DOESN'T LISTEN.

5) THE QUARREL BETWEEN OEDIPUS AND TIRESIAS LEADS THAT OEDIPUS WILL DIG DEEPER TO FIND OUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS TALKING ABOUT AND FIND OUT HIS CURSED PAST.

6) I THINK CREON IS LYING WHEN HE TELLS OEDIPUS THAT HE ISN'T INTERESTED IN THE THRONE BECAUSE CREON PROBABLY FIGURED OUT WHAT HAPPENED;CREON IS DIFFERENT FROM OEDIPUS BECAUSE HE IS MORE HEADSTRONG AND DEMANDING.

7)JOCASTA'S ATTEMPTS TO REASSURE OEDIPUS BACKFRIES BECAUSE THE WAY SHE TALKED TO HIM WAS TOO WORRY-LIKE WHICH CONCERNED OEDPIUS EVEN MORE.

Cool THE TOPIC OF THE CHORAL ODE IS HOW LAIUS DIED AND THE PROPHECY.

9) THE USE OF EXPOSITION THAT THE AUTHOR USED ALL LEADS TO THE TRUTH THAT OEDIPUS IS THE ONE WHO KILLED HIS OWN FATHER(LAIUS).

10) JOCASTA'S REACTION TO THE MESSENGER'S NEWS ARE DIFFERENT FROM OEDIPUS IS THAT JOCASTA COMMITTED SUICIDE WHILE OEDIPUS BLINDS HIMSELF FROM THE TRUTH AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

11) I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH THE WAY OEDIPUS DESCRIBES HIMSELF TO THE CHORUS BECAUSE IT'S NOT HIS FAULT OF WHAT HAPPENED. IT'S HIS PARENTS FAULT FOR SENDING HIM FAR AWAY AND MAKING THE PROPHECY TRUE.

12) THE TURNING POINT WHEN I THINK OEDIPUS FINDS OUT ABOUT HIS PAST IS WHEN THE HERDSMAN TELLS HIM THAT THE BABY WAS SENT FAR AWAY TO THE KING AND QUEEN OF CORINTH. HE KEEPS PRESSING ONTO THIS BECAUSE HE WANTS TO FIND OUT THE WHOLE TRUTH AND DOESN'T WANT TO DEAL WITH IT ANYMORE.

13) THE ACTIONS DESCRIBED BY THE SECOND MESSENGER WAS HOW A BABY WAS GIVIN AWAY TO THE QUEEN OF THEBES AND IN OPINION THESE EVENTS SHOULDV'E BEEN SHOWED ON STAGE SO I CAN UNDERSTAND IT BETTER.

14) I THINK OEDIPUS BLINDS HIMSELF INSTEAD OF COMMITTING SUICIDE BECAUSE MAYBE HE FEELS DEAD INSIDE ALREADY AND DYING COMPLETELY WOULDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO HIM.

15) THE CHORUS AND ITS LEADER COMPLETELY CHANGE THEIR FEELINGS TOWARDS OEDIPUS BECAUSE THEY WANT HIM TO GIVE UP HIS THRONE AND LEAVE WHICH I DISAGREE WITH. JUST BECAUSE OEDIPUS HAD A CURSED PAST...THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM WHO HE IS. HE SHOULDV'E STAYED ON THE THRONE WITH HIS TWO DAUGHTERS HELPING HIM.

16) OEDIPUS ASKS CREON TO BAN HIM FROM THEBES AND CREON DOESN'T HESISTATE TO DO THAT BECAUSE ONCE OEDIPUS LEAVES HE GETS THE THRONE(WHICH IS WHAT HE ALWAYS WANTED).

17) I EXPECT CREON TO BE ONCE OF THOSE DICTATOR KIND OF LEADERS BECAUSE HE IS SO DEMANDING IN WHAT HE WANTS.
Back to top Go down
HUERTA34

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Silvia Huerta English: PR- Questions February 22, 2009
Prologue-Scene 1

1. The oracle at Delphi and the riddling Sphinx are important to the play because they are the ones that set out his destiny of killing his father and marrying his mother.

2.My first impressions of Oedipus are that he is a vile character perhaps both the protagonist and antagonist because he is introduced as the killer of his father and wedding of his mother. I think he will not prove to be a good leader because of his internal conflict or sin. he would be someone to fear as a friend or relative knowing he killed his own father.

3. The Chorus and its leader feel strange and uneasy toward Oedipus at the beginning of the play. Thus as the ply progresses they begin to realize he is a worthy leader who saved them during a crisis.

4. Oedipus believes that Tiresias and Creon are conspiring against him because they want the throne. This reaction indicate that his character is observing and he is alert about how people can be when jealous.

5. Oedipus's quarrel with Tiresias leads me to expect that they will have future conflicts.

Scenes 2-3

6. i don't think Creon is being truthful when he tells Oedipus why he has no interest in the throne because it would be surprising if anyone would have no interest in the power the throne symbolizes.Creon's character differs from Oedipus's because while he is envious Oedipus is modest.

7. Jocasta attempts to reassure Oedipus backfire because she only added to his worry.

8. The topic of the choral ode that begins after Jocasta reluctantly agrees to summon the herdsman is about Laius' murder and the prophecy. This ode is a reaction to Jocasta's disbelief in prophecy because it says how Oedipus was born to doom.

9. The use of exposition during scenes 2 and 3, particularly Jocasta's speech about her child and the information and the messenger offers is used by allowing the reader to make predictions or assumptions on what will occur in future scenes.

10. Jocasta's reaction to the messenger's news differ from Oedipus's because while Jocasta drastically kills herself Oedipus only blinds himself.

11. Oedipus describes himself to the Chorus at the end of Scene 3 as the only culpable person of his sin. I disagree with his description because he was destined to this and there was nothing he could have done.

Scene 4-Exodos

12. Even before Oedipus's interrogation of the herdsman begins Oedipus realizes the truth. he continues to he presses on because he wants to be completely sure of the herdsman testimony and he wants to let it all sink in.

13. The second messenger describes how Oedipus was given to him by the queen herself, Jocasta. I think his speech was effective because it shows that no matter what anyone tried to do to stop the prophecy it was destined to occur anyway.

14. I think Oedipus blinds himself instead of committing suicide because he wants to prove the prophecy that it isn't the end of his doom and that he can overcome it.

15. The Chorus and its leader's feelings toward Oedipus changed, they saw him as an unworthy leader, a murderer. Contrastingly, I felt that he was destined to this and felt pity towards him.

16. Oedipus asks of Creon to prohibit him from Thebes ,Creon reluctant to comply because this means that he will have the throne.

17. I expect that Creon will be a greedy leader as the rest and his doom will be brought by his greed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: During-Reading Questions.   During-Reading Questions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

During-Reading Questions.
Page 1 of 1