www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com

Gotham Workshop

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Discussion

Go down 
+31
mdejesus013
alex9423
angie:)
BlAck PoInt
ShaJaMaXPro
May1694
Morzat la Para12
Romo
Marroyo160
wiLmariex0
VICKIE94
DTejada790
XxWachen<3xX
priscilli
MSantos
Jma986
MStillwell23
TAyala090
username12
njg094
Dameiby1
y3l3nny
karla_hearts
SCollazo970
LG630
JN3
suqarkissesx0
qenesis
ricardo
IT IR IE V IE IR
Max713
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Max713

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:51 pm

What were your first impressions on the book?

Why did Burmese hate George Orwell? Was he a traitor?

Theme: Betrayal, Deceit

Title: Animal Farm
Why would he name it "Animal Farm"

Why or how did all of these forms of governments come after WWI?

What is imperialism?

How do you define "truth?"

Does truth change in forms or does our interpretations change or does it stay the same?

What is considered a conspiracy?

Are we doing the right thing?

What does the pig resemble? Why the form of a fairy-tale?

Is satire the only way to get your point across?
A. "He insisted on telling people precisely what they did not want to hear."
B. "He was that political figure all politicians fear."
C. "He insisted on telling the truth even when the truth is inconvenient."

Why does Orwell make certain choices in his book?
-Every government is corrupt.
-Alternative motive.
-Historical perspective
-The governments mistreatment of animals.
Back to top Go down
IT IR IE V IE IR

IT IR IE V IE IR

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: 10 Questions   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:29 am

1.My impressions were that it looked very boring, and the fact that animals could talk seemed very young for a high school novel.

2.Burmese hated George Orwell simply because of his character and how he treated other. He wasn’t a traitor that just him.

3.Its named animal farm because it’s about animals that rebel, against the people. Those were mistreated at an animal farm.

4.Imperialism is extending your rule over a foreign country.

5.Truth is being honest to people.

6.Some people say the truth but not all the time it’s the full truth, so people usually consider truth sometimes being a way around a lie.

7.Conspiracy is a secret among two or more people who perform a unlawful act.

8.As humans we aren’t doing the right thing, global warming, murder and war. Life isn’t about fighting and mistreating each other.

9.The pig is very smart but sly. Its in the form a fairy-take because it gives the pig to express its mental ways that it cant in real life.

10.Satire is sarcasm. You can get your point across by being true and being mature about whatever you’re talking about.
Back to top Go down
ricardo

ricardo

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:30 am

All these governments came after WWII because after the war many future world powers felt that a there countries were weak and needed a chance to seize the position of a powerful leader.

Imperialism is the policy or practice of extending a country's influence over other territories by conquest, colonization, or economic domination example: Japanese during WWII

Truth- a statement proven to be or accepted as true

The truth never changes its just the way we as humans intercept and process the idea
Back to top Go down
qenesis

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:37 am

From the beginning of the book, i though it was going to be a good book. The type of book that you had to read between the lines to understand. That everything was compare to real life, but writing under the eyes of animals. which is a metaphor.

I think that Orwell choose to name it, " Animal Farm", because politics usually act like animals in a farm, and since this book takes place in a farm.
Back to top Go down
suqarkissesx0

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: discussion Q&As   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:39 am

My first impressions were that Animal Farm was going to deal with animals. I thought this booking was going to be more of a fairy tale kind of book, not a book based on the author's political views of his time period.

Why would he name it "Animal Farm"?
He would name it Animal Farm because the book is really about animals at a farm who are trying to create their own kind of government and overrule each other.

What is imperialism?
Imperialism is trying to extend your kind of government or influence to other nations around you.

I define truth as the opposite of lie. It’s when you tell everything just how it is without leaving anything out, adding anything in, or making anything up.

Does truth change in forms or does our interpretations change or does it stay the same?
Truth does change in forms because there are times when you are technically telling the truth but not really the whole truth.

Why the symbol of the pig? Why the form of a fairy-tale?
The symbol of the pig is showing how the government gets “fat” off of people. They live off the people’s hard work and money.
Back to top Go down
suqarkissesx0

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: discussion Q&As   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:40 am

My first impressions were that Animal Farm was going to deal with animals. I thought this booking was going to be more of a fairy tale kind of book, not a book based on the author's political views of his time period.

Why would he name it "Animal Farm"?
He would name it Animal Farm because the book is really about animals at a farm who are trying to create their own kind of government and overrule each other.

What is imperialism?
Imperialism is trying to extend your kind of government or influence to other nations around you.

I define truth as the opposite of lie. It’s when you tell everything just how it is without leaving anything out, adding anything in, or making anything up.

Truth does change in forms because there are times when you are technically telling the truth but not really the whole truth.

Why the symbol of the pig? Why the form of a fairy-tale?
The symbol of the pig is showing how the government gets “fat” off of people. They live off the people’s hard work and money.
Back to top Go down
JN3

JN3

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: My Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:42 am

1) What were your first impressions on the book?
My first impression of the Animal Farm book was that it was going to be something weird. I mean animals who have their own government and are being related to political leaders, this is new. I just felt as if the book was going to be typical at first; and I was right , to me its a typical government novel in my eyes.
2) Why would he name it \\\"Animal Farm\\\"
The name of this novel is called Animal Farm and I feel as if Orwell named it this simply because that\\''s what the novel discusses; animals on a farm. The title is simple and tells it all about the main characters which are animals and how they apparently, live on a farm. All in all, these animals making their own government would make the Farm theirs so that would cause the author to name it the \\\"Animal Farm\\\".
3) Why or how did all of these forms of governments come after WWII?
After WWII, societies were all torn apart and that lead to reformations; meaning new governments and new ideas. I feel as if the people themselves needed some sense of control and therefore they decided to come up with new forms of ruling the masses. Since dictatorships never worked out really well within most of Europe during this time, that lead to ideas such as communism and totalitarianism.
4) How do you define \\\"truth?\\\"
Truth in my eyes is defined as something that actually happened as opposed to something that never did. the truth is something that can happen in real life and even though some lies may resemble the truth, there is a fine line between them.
5) What does the pig resemble? Why the form of a fairy-tale?
I believe that Orwell chose to use the pigs as the main characters and a symbol since politicians and many government officials are often referred to as pigs since they are known to be very lazy and rely on others more than others rely on them. As far as the fairy tale goes, its just a cover up since they are trying the make the pigs the politicians themselves and of course, pigs can\\''t really talk.
6) What is imperialism?
Imperialism, is the growth of a nations through the acquisition of territory from another foreign nation.
7) What is considered a conspiracy?
A conspiracy is an agreement between individuals in which they are plotting to do something illegal or wrong in society.
Cool Does truth change in forms or does our interpretations change or does it stay the same?
The truth does have different form and as people have different opinions about reality and what is possible or not, their interpretations of what is true and not also changes. however, in such a situation that many a few people are being told about a certain situation slowly, the truth might change in such a way that it is told differently.
9) Are we doing the right thing?
Politically, I feel as if in today\\''s society there are many conspiracies going around and many lies being told to the people themselves. Yet, I feel that in a way this os right since we need to stay out of certain things because an uproar within a nation is never good and it only causes people to go into mayhem. I just know that with some situations, there are some things that we the people, cant be lied to.
10) Why does Orwell make certain choices in his book?
-Alternative motive.
-Historical perspective

Orwell make these choices in his novel simply because those are is views on the world and what he thinks society is just that; corrupt.

Last edited by JN3 on Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LG630

LG630

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:43 am

When first receiving the animal farm book i really did not expect to read the story that i am reading right now. Actually i was expecting to read a childish story having to deal with a couple animals on a farm. In reality, I am reading a book that deals with corruption in government disguised as a revolution on a farm.

What imperialism?
Imperialism is extending your rule over a foreign country.

How do you define "truth"?
Truth is coming clean about a situation and telling the complete story and not leaving out one single part.

Truth can sometimes can be altered. They tell you the part of the truth that you want to hear but end up leaving vital parts of what the real story is.

A conspiracy is when a group of people that know a secret and use it to perform a betraying act.

No. If we as a country were doing the right thing then we would not be facing any of the global problems that we're dealing with. Not to mention the civil problems we have within our own country.

Countries were so corrupt and desperate for change that they tried anything possible to restabilize themselves.

At times sarcasm is the only way to make someone realize what you are trying say. Most of the times you have to tell people the opposite so they can start believing the truth.
Back to top Go down
SCollazo970

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:45 am

1 ) My first impressions of this book was that it was going to be boring. I had no idea what the book was going to be about. The title being \"Animal Farm\" gave me the impression of boredom. Who wants to read a book about an animal farm?
2 ) The author named the book animal farm because the book is about an animal farm. But there is a hidden meaning. It is about the government and the animals in it are figurative.
3 ) Imperialism is when you extend your rule to foreign countries. Many people in ancient times were imperialists.
4 ) Truth, in my opinion, is what really happened. Truth in most occasions is hidden. Truth is sometimes altered to fit one''s personal discretion.
5 ) Truth changes all the time. There is only one truth but people change it to please themselves. If they don''t like the person they will change little details that will eventually end up altering the truth entirely.
6 ) A conspiracy is an underground plan that involves many members that come together to overturn some common cause.
7 ) We are not doing the right thing in our government. Our efforts to better our economy are failing miserably. We are doing the right thing in trying to help out the economy but we aren''t because our efforts aren't working.
8 ) The forms of government came around because the people saw that the form of government that they were using was not a good one. Also people had different beliefs on how the country should be run.
9 ) Burmese didn''t like George Orwell because of how he acted. He thought he was above everyone. He was a traitor because he was supposed to be equal to every other farm animal and he put himself before his companions.
10 ) Satire isn''t the only way to get your point across. there are many other forms and ways to get your point across. You just have to use your words wisely.

Last edited by SCollazo970 on Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
karla_hearts

Discussion Empty

1. My first impression of the book is that i knew this book was going to be about animals.
2. Burmese hated George Orwell because he treated the animals badly. George didn't feed them, the animals would starved to death. Yes, he is a trailer because George is suppose to help the people, but instead he don't care.
3. He called this book "Animal Farm" because this book is about animals and how they work together to defend their rights toward animals. Also, this animals make up their own rules and commendments.
4. this rules came up after WW1 because things started changing after WW1. there were more rights, therefore these animals made up their own rights.
5. imperialism means a policy in extending your rules over foreign countries.
6. I define "Truth" by being honest and not by saying lies.
7. Yes truth change in forms.
8. Its consider conspiracy is when two or more people agree to do an unlawful act.
Back to top Go down
y3l3nny

Discussion Empty

-At first i thought that the book was going to be boring. I also thought that the book was not going to be good because of the name and what the book was about. In addition to that i think that the book is a little unrealistic because in reality its not possible for animals to create their own community without humans.

-Burmese hated George Orwell because he was a traitor.

-I think that the author named the book "Animal Farm" as a referance to the name that the animals chose for the farm that they ate managing. Also since the farm is just inhabited by animals without any humans, the author might of used that also to come up with the name.

What is imperialism?
-Imperialism is the practices of extending a country, and its influences.

-To me truth is being faithful and not lying. Also being truthful is being sincere, and honest.

-In my opinion truth changes depending upon the person.

-A conspiracy is a plot between a group against someone.
Back to top Go down
Dameiby1

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Animal Farm answers Rosa R.   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:46 am

I thought this book was going to be less significant, I think that the author is teaching the readers great lessons in a fun format.

By this title the author compared the world into an farm filled with animal that are unable to control themselves.

What is imperialism? A form of government in which the political, power is held by one individual, forming the Russian Emperor.

Truth is the authenticity of what is really happening without fixing and turning things around.

Does truth change in forms or does our interpretations change or does it stay the same? The ruth can sometimes change depending on one's personal view of the situation.

What is considered a conspiracy? Any plan behind one's back weather is good or bad in essence is a conspiracy.

Why the symbol of the pig? Why the form of a fairy-tale? While pigs role around in mood over and over, and seem to have pleasure, politicians do the wrong thing, and don't seem to feel any regrets.

Why does Orwell make certain choices in his book? Multiple times Orwell as human expresses his opinion rather than the fact it's self.
-Alternative motive.
-Historical perspective
-The governments mistreatment of animal
Back to top Go down
njg094

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:47 am

1)When I first looked at the Animal Farm book, I first thought that it was going to be about something different. I thought that it was going to be However, after i started to read more, I noticed that it was actually going to have animals that act like real-life people that lived during WWII. at first i thought that it was going to be a story about some animals in a random farm that were being abused and left somehow to live happily ever after.
2)The Burmese hated Orwell because of the way that he thought. He was not a traitor.
3)He named it \\\"Animal Farm\\\" because it is about animals and the farm part could mean that there are no rules and it is out of control and the animals are trying to create a government that works for them.
4)Many of these forms of government came after WWII because many people were unhappy with the current type of government that they had and many new ideas for a better government had come about.
5)Imperialism means to extend your rule to a foreign country.
6)Truth in my eyes are the facts of life. They are never wrong and people can sometimes alter the truth.
7) I believe that there is an unlimited amount of ways that people can interpret the truth. Many people have different views on the same topic.
8. A conspiracy is when people agree to break the law.
9)As you know, pigs are very lazy. The pigs can represent the world leaders being lazy and not paying attention to the needs of their people.
10)Satire is sarcasm. Another way to get your point across is by using irony or by using personification. the author can use this to get their point across.

Last edited by njg094 on Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
username12

username12

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:19 am

My first impressions of this book was that it was going to be a very boring book but as we began reading it the book actually became interesting
Back to top Go down
TAyala090

TAyala090

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:31 am

-well, i didnt really like it at first but as time went on they became better.

- he was rather different and tried to just do him

- there was alot of betrayal going on like everyone betrayed others in one way or another.

-its almost like a relation between a farm and the people in the war. its like the older and bigger and tougher onees are the animals that are huge.

-they all formed after the war because every one wanted to be in control. so therefore, it started madd different forms of government.

What is imperialism?
-extending the rules

-not lying

- everything stays the ame. i its the truth then its the truth. thats it!

- a problemmm

- well i dont believe war is right at all.

the pig resembles the normal person. and a fary tale to make it more interesting

-uhmm. not really theres different ways just that he chose that oone.

--if people hear bad things and he promises them better they fall into his trap.
--well, kind of cause people were behind him in things that he did.
--if you tell people the truth its better then lying and them hating you at the end. even if they dont believe you noe

--because it makes the book more interesting and easier for people to understand
-- the government is waht you make it
-Alternative motive.
-- uhmm. idk this onee
-Historical perspective
-- many wars cause by political reasons
-The governments mistreatment of animals.[/quote]
-- the government wanted to treat people as if they were animals. as if they were their little petss
Back to top Go down
MStillwell23

MStillwell23

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:32 am

- when i first saw the book i noticed a pig on the cover, and that made me believe that the book was going to be childish.

- because he was a traitor .

- because hes relating animals to a war.

What is imperialism?
- the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

- i define truth as opening up to someone and showing a real side .

- i think truth changes in some forms . but our interpretations change depending on the situation .

- a problem ?

- i dont think we are doing the right thing because of the war . i think its wrong that our american soldiers have to risk their lives because of oil .

- the pig resembles the normal people and beause it makes it more interesting for people to read.

- no i dont think satire is the only way to get our point cross .

- because he wants to make it interesting .
Back to top Go down
Jma986

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:33 am

What were your first impressions on the book? my first impression on the book wasn't really so great. i thought the book would be boring, and really wouldn't grab my attention. Until i started reading and learning and understand the theme of the book.

Why did Burmese hate George Orwell? Was he a traitor?because

Why would he name it "Animal Farm" to compare humans to animals and show how some betray people and are traitors.

What is imperialism?

How do you define "truth?". to define truth is very hard. i guess it just comes naturally
Back to top Go down
TAyala090

TAyala090

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:36 am

qenesis wrote:
From the beginning of the book, i though it was going to be a good book. The type of book that you had to read between the lines to understand. That everything was compare to real life, but writing under the eyes of animals. which is a metaphor.

I think that Orwell choose to name it, " Animal Farm", because politics usually act like animals in a farm, and since this book takes place in a farm.

n --------------------- i am not the kind of person that "reads between the lines" lol!
Back to top Go down
MSantos

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:41 am

when i first saw the book i thought it was going to be boring and i thought that it would be the kind of book that just makes you want to fall asleep.......i was right!
Back to top Go down
priscilli

priscilli

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:41 am

-I was confused that the animals were talking o_O

-Burmese hated George Orwell because he WAS a traitor.

-Its a fable of Animals who live in a farm.

-I guess its because society was searching for the perfect form of government to prevent another war outburst.

What is imperialism?
-It is the policy of extending your rule over foreign countries.

-Truth is a form of honesty that can come in any form whether its an action or a fact.

-If the truth isn't tampered and it is the actual truth then the only way it can be altered is if our interpretations change what its supposed to stand for.

-It is a secret agreement with 2 or more people to conduct an unlawful act.

-What ARE we doing?

-The pig stands for the pigs in our government. How people can be can be corrupted.

-Sometimes it is what grabs peoples attention the most.

-Once again satire, he doesn't sugar coat anything in his writing.
Back to top Go down
XxWachen<3xX

XxWachen<3xX

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:43 am

1.) When I started reading this book, I first thought it was going to be another boring book. But the theme is unique. Come on it has talking animals! That's pretty cool. It's not so bad. Cool

2.) I think Burnese hated George Orwell because he can't appreciate and respect anyone's opinions and beliefs but his own.

3.)Many forms of governments seemed to appear out of no where after the first world war. People back then tried to come up with a government that was almost perfect and the person in power had the most power. This was the problem. No government is perfect.

4.) Imperialism- a type of government where it tries to extend it's empire by acquiring new territory.

5.) Define truth? Um opposite of deceit, something that the weak hearted can't handle. lol!
Back to top Go down
DTejada790

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:44 am

What were your first impressions of the book?
- at first i was really paying attention because it was pretty boring. after a while i finally understood a lot of what was going on.

- he hated Orwell because he thought that he was a traitor. he thought this because of what he was doing.

-
Back to top Go down
VICKIE94

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Reply to the questions   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:44 am

1)For complete control , and how the story takes that small twist which leads these people into leadership.
2) people became very careless and only worried about their own job and selfs.
3)They manipulate them by talking as if they were aware of all the past situations and soft spots.
4)IF you are aware of situations and have a solution but are to intimidated to speak out about your opinion i think they should give up thier leadership because someone that can speak out should be a leader because they have power.
5)The leaders are seriously influenceing all the people that noone still follows thier own beliefs .
6) In times like this i believe people are demanding war in order to have peace a stable solution needs to be met.
Back to top Go down
wiLmariex0

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:45 am

My first impression of this book was that it was going to have to do with politics and the government.
I was curious to see how Orwell would relate a story on animals living in a farm to politics.

The Burmese hated Orwell because indeed to them he was a traitor.

I think he named this book "animal farm" because the story is all about animals living in a farm and trying to become free.

After WWI the forms of government came about because they wanted to prevent other wars.

What is imperialism?

The truth to me means being sincere and having integrity.

Truth doesn't change, people interpret the meaning of it differently because none thinks the same.

A conspiracy is an agreement of 2 or more people to come up with a plot.

I think we are doing the right thing as a country.

The pig resembles how people in our government can be corrupt and act like pigs.

- Satire is one way to get a point across but there are also many other ways.

-Alternative motive.
-Historical perspective
- Orwell makes the choices he does in this book because his whole plan is to get an idea across .
Back to top Go down
Marroyo160

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:56 am

TAyala090 wrote:
qenesis wrote:

n --------------------- i am not the kind of person that "reads between the lines" lol!

the reason why they choose to compare it to a farm was just to make it like a big metaphor it had nothing to do with acting like animals
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion   Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next