www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.ultimatepen.forum-motion.com

Gotham Workshop

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Critical Lens Essay (Friar)

Go down 
+6
Elmedes223
uriel20
xstarmoonkillz
HUERTA34
CHRISTYINALOVE3
Colombiankl
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Colombiankl
Rawrness in the making
Colombiankl

Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Empty
PostSubject: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Post responses here
Back to top Go down
CHRISTYINALOVE3

CHRISTYINALOVE3

PostSubject: Friar essay   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:22 pm

In Romeo and Juliet, the Friar has to choose between what is right and what is wrong. Should he marry the two or not? The Friar relates to a character from a movie I have seen. The movie is called Nick Of Time. The movie talks about a man named Gene Watson and he has to go through the same thing as the Friar. He has to choose either to work with a leader to help plot a plan to assainate the mayor or let his daughter die.

The Friar would face the consequences if he chooses either one. If he marries the two, then he would feel guilty of marrying rival families. If he doesn't, Romeo and Juliet's love would go down the drain. Either way, he would feel like what he has done was the wrong thing to do. The Friar has the toughest decision out of anyone in the whole play.

In the movie Nick Of Time, Gene Watson would face the consequences no matter which he chooses. If he chooses not to assainate the mayor, his daughter would be dead. If he did choose to assainate the mayor, he would have killed the powerful leader of the city and he would be a wanted man.He is risking his daughter's life, but also the mayor's too. He is very confused.

The Friar and Gene Watson have a difficult choice to make. Each have a loved one's life at risk. The Friar's is his faith and Gene Watson's is his daughter's. If I were in their position, I would panic. But the situations that they are in are a difficult decision to make. Can you choose between apple and orange? Can you choose between faith and anger? Can you choose between your daughter or the mayor?

We have so many difficult choices to make. This is the most challenging yet. The Friar should marry Romeo and Juliet because he wants two children to be happy. Gene Watson should assainate the mayor because I would never let my child die.The movie and the story both have an ending no one should miss. See if my prediction came true to the two decisions made.
Back to top Go down
HUERTA34

PostSubject: 5P- CRITICAL LENS ESSAY   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Silvia Huerta English:Homework March 15, 2009
*Friar Lawrence's Actions-5P

Should Friar Lawrence, the priest that weds Romeo and Juliet in Shakespeare's play have secretly wed the two youngsters without their parents consent? Questioning such act is something one must not expect a right or wrong answer because who is one to judge a priest. But then again, was it wrong doing when he breaks his rights as priest, were his choices inappropriate, or was it even morally correct for him to do as he did. When one thinks of a priest one pictures a wise man with a strong and stable connection with this supreme being, one who knows what the right choice is and is willing to advise others and redirect them onto the right path. Thus, Friar Lawrence was far beyond our typical priest, perhaps more a perplexed character to which irony takes the toll of his decision to wed Romeo and Juliet, a choice that breaks his duties as priest.

The intentions were right,to put a stunt to the long rivalry between the Montagues and Capulets, but was wedding the two the right answer? Well as the play further develops one realizes it was not. The priest's intentions to please all the people leads him to become vulnerable. His intentions to stop a family feud and interfere with family affairs leads him to wedding the two not because he believed they were in love. He was wedding them to benefit others, his community because he as well as others were sick of seeing the long rivalry between the two families. Nonetheless, he even states that young love is nothing more than a physical attraction. He doesn't think that Romeo and Juliet's love is sincere so why should he have wed them.

Not only back in the day were situations like these, where someones actions intended to cause help instead cause further harm. Today's economy can be easily compared. Previous President George W. Bush tried to help the economy by encouraging citizens to go out there and spend. His followers soon realized that extravagant spending led them to dig themselves a deeper hole.

President Bush believed that by encouraging buyers to spend more and more money the economy would once more become stable. However this didn't make anything better. Instead the economy continued its steep decline. Instead of helping his people much like the priest in Shakespeare's play he ironically ended up further hurting them.

Overall, back in the day and even today, people are taking wrong choices. They are taking part in actions that should not be fulfilled in their positions. If only they stood and followed their jobs duties then perhaps the situation they tried to better wouldn't have worsened.

Critical Lens Essay (Friar) PC_022

Last edited by HUERTA34 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xstarmoonkillz

xstarmoonkillz

PostSubject: Subject: Rosa Luna: Critical Lens Essay   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Should Friar Lawrence Wed Romeo and Juliet Secretly?

Friar Lawrence is one of the main characters of the play although he is not a round character he plays a major part on Romeo and Juliet. He is mainly fond of Romeo and wants the best for him and as well for Juliet. He wants to help both of them but one of his main interest are in uniting the two families the Capulet and the Montague. He takes a large part in the play as he is a priest who is very close to Romeo. Romeo has always searched for Friar Lawrence when ever he was in need of help or in of advice. As always Friar Lawrence accepted to help Romeo.

This time Romeo had asked Friar Lawrence to marry Juliet and himself, since he was a priest. He accepted and was going to wed Romeo and Juliet to help them get together and hope for the families to unite. The controversy here is does he have the right to wed them secretly? It is viewed different by everyone but I ultimately believe he doesn’t have the right unless he is wedding to people who are in love and have the consent of other people. If people aren’t allowing them to marry them they must have a logical explanation. In this case both the Montague family didn’t get along with the Capulet family.

This couldn’t be a good enough reason for Juliet and Romeo to not be wed, but also there age they are only teenagers. Both Romeo and Juliet are young teenagers just at the point of blooming. There still a young seed waiting to be fully blossomed. They don’t have real reasoning to marry each other just because they believe they love each other and want to spend the rest of their life together in unison. They are teenagers how could they seriously fall in love with each other in a matter of a short time when they have only exchanged a sum of a few words. Really what is the odds of there love lasting sooner or later things change because neither family would want them together.

Romeo and Juliet’s wedding isn’t reasonable or even rightful for Friar Lawrence to marry them. Friar Lawrence as wise as he is and thoughtful wanted the best for all he needs to realize other factors put out there. Romeo is asking him to wed him and Juliet to keep there love together. Friar Lawrence, he even believes Romeo is only infatuated by Juliet, he isn’t even sure if they are truly in love with each other. Friar Lawrence is only wedding them because he wants to ultimately please Romeo and unite both the Montague and Capulet. He isn’t even completely reasonable about his doings since he is only wedding them for a different reason then “true love”.

With this I conclude Friar Lawrence has no real reason to wed these two people who are probably not even in love with each other that possibly only have physical attraction towards each other. This can be very controversial since there isn’t a real way to examine Juliet and Romeo’s true love, if its only just a teenage love that will pass by or more then that. With people having a different view on love and if Friar Lawrence is wedding Romeo and Juliet for the right reasons or not. I believe if he weds them he is only causing more chaos for the families and even Friar Lawrence for wedding two young ones who where supposed to never wed each other because of there family.

Last edited by xstarmoonkillz on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Colombiankl
Rawrness in the making
Colombiankl

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 pm

I really do not think that the Fria is doing the right thing with marrying Romeo and Juliet without Romeo and Juliet even thinking this through. Romeo and Juliet fell in love with each other in a manner that I find really unrealistic. People just can’t fall in love at first sight. Love is something that is developed. What Romeo and Juliet had was something I call “lust at first site”, which is basically falling in love with their first impression. Romeo and Juliet definitely rushed things.

First off, their families are mortal enemies, and if they’re family found out about their love, I think that a war would start between the families. Which leads me to thinking that that’s why Romeo and Juliet sort of rushed things. I think they thought that if they would get married, their families wouldn’t be able to do anything to take them apart. In reality, Romeo is destined to be banished and Juliet has to be wed to Paris, whom she does not like.

However, the Friar takes part in a pretty serious mistake. He was going to go through with Romeo and Juliet’s request to get married. Sure, he’s not outwardly doing wrong, but taking part of it is wrong. Does the Friar have the right to marry two lovers (one a criminal, one destined to marry another) in secret? Romeo and Juliet SAY that they are in love, but let’s face it. Romeo and Juliet met, and they were instantly in love. Again, being a person that doesn’t believe in love at first sight, I have to say that’s pretty unrealistic.

It’s wrong because the Friar is not ignorant as well. He KNOWS that Romeo is a Montague, and Juliet is a Capulet. He knows that the two families Joseph, you deserve to be blown by me each other, and that Romeo and Juliet hadn’t talked to their families about they’re love. I’m pretty sure he knew that Romeo and Juliet had just met. Besides, Romeo and Juliet were just teens. They know nothing about love! They wouldn’t know about commitment and things about marriage. They're really young and should think these things through.
Back to top Go down
uriel20

uriel20

PostSubject: Critical Lens Essay(Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Friar did indeed help Romeo and Juliet. For instance he tried to advice them on many things. For instance, he asked Romeo how he had become just out of a sudden in love with Juliet while a day ago he love another women. On Juliet's part he tries to help her to get her closer to Romeo. Doing so, he offers them that he will get them married.

Now, however, this would cause a lot of chaos. Romeo and Juliet's family's are rivals and don't want for any of them to be close to one another. When they heard that they being married the whole thing will become more complicated. There would be death if this would happens.

Friar first needs to think whats the best option here. If they are better off like they are or should he get them married. Also, he needs to decided between the right and wrong. He can't let personal feelings get on the way or Romeo and Juliet love would be ruin. This part is the most crucial part of the entire play. This would decided what happens next to Romeo and Juliet. If they are going to be married and be together? or Are they going to figure out another wait for them to be together?

As for me i think that Friar is committing a great mistake. The reason is because he wants them married just to settle the dispute between the Montague and Capulet. Another reason is because of Romeo. Before Romeo saw Juliet for the first time he love another women and he couldn't take her out of his mind. However, when he went to the party at the Capulets house and saw Juliet everything change. It was like he never love the other women or even met her in his life. He fall in love with her and it what's the only thing that it would come to his mind. That is think of her and her all the time.

In addition to, I think if Friar decides to married Romeo and Juliet it will case a bigger conflict between the two families. Also, there "love" can be ruin and can cause serious problems. For example, one or both of them can ended up death because they misunderstood one another or because they couldn't stand it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Elmedes223

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

"I do"the words that brought down two lovers.Friar Lawrence is one to blame for marrying the young lovers.For allowing such obscenity to occur.It shows were the Friar stands faithfully.As a priest the Friar fails short from the holyness of God.Also gives a mispresentation of marriage.
Friar Lawrence made a mockery of the true meaning of marriage.Marriage is suppose to be a union of to consenting adults becoming one.What does a child and boy know about marriage.How do they know that their "love" was attraction and infratuation and not love?Friar Lawrence should have distinguished the two.Many would have to admit the Friar was all too willing.
At first the Friar tries to decline the marriage but he does it anyway.A huge mistake that any other priest would not have commited.The Friar didn't even think about his credibility as a priest decreasing.Not only as such but also that the Friar didn't think how grand of an abomination the union could be.
The Friar is just like the popes or the clergy from France who have advised many kings in political issues.At times their advice has brought death to the KIngs.Left the country in chaos because of bad judgement.Much like the Friar's

Last edited by Elmedes223 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inad9-J

Inad9-J

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Romeo and Juliet marry even thouight their parents didn't knew about it and if they did they wouldn't approve. The Friar married them without telling their parents or anyone else about it. Many people discuss and argue wether this was right or wrong. I personally think the he had his reasons to marry them, for him this marriage would unite both families together.

For me he did the right thing by marring Romeo and Juliet bacause they loved each other. He knew that their love would eventually end up bad when their parensts found out. Therefore, he wanted to unite them before that happened. With their marriage their parents couldn't do anything because it was done already. The Friar thought that when both Romeo and Juliet's parents found out they wouldn't be mad.

I could compare the Friar to Priest now a days. Some still marry young lovers without their parents consent. The only things they require now is a witness. Parents now find it hard to find out if their children marry secretly because a lot of churches do this and Priest don't say anything. Which makes it difficult for parents to know.

Friar Lawrence could also be compare to some friends that people have now. That they tell them all their things and then ask for advices that makes things for them worst. For example they could ask them what they should do in a situation that are not qualify to answer. The Friar didn't thought of the consequences but he follow what he thought was right. Which for me was right but he could have thought about it more too.

Some people just think of what is good for other but not that it could end up bad. I think thats what Friar Lawrence thought of Romeo and Juliet's situation. He didn't thought nothing could go wrong. Which is a big mistake a lot of people do.

Last edited by Inad9-J on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
love_mayrax14

love_mayrax14

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Was it Right for Friar Lawrence to Have Wed Romeo and Juliet Secretly?

In my opinion as a priest you do your job as marrying two people that are in love. However, they are of young age and needed their parents consent to marry. Most importantly they are too young to marry in the first place. I really dislike the idea that their love was love at first sight. I really think you should get to know someone then marry not just the way they look. what about if they ended up together and found out that they were way too different and their relationship is not going to work out because they didn't get to know each other. Love develops it just doesn't happen just by looking at someone.

As a priest Friar Lawrence should know what is right and what is wrong. He follows what he believes. Also I am not saying that he wasn't truly religious. Yet, I think a faithful believer wouldn't do that. Doing something behind your parents back isn't right and he should have known that. But we are no one to judge a priest. You might think as a priest one who is almost perfect the example to others to do what is right. But I guess thing happens where there must be exceptions. No one is perfect. The priest might always feel that it wasn't right but eventually his powerful being will forgive him.

The priest might have thought that no one had the right to interfere with their love. No one has the right to tell you who you should marry or not. Their parents had a strong rivalry and the priest knew that their parents wouldn't have allowed of such thing. I don't think that wedding them secretly was the best thing to do but at desperate times calls for desperate measures. Their parents were never ever going to approve of their marriage and decided to take matters into their own hands.

During that time period people got married at a young age either way. People didn't live that long and if they thought they were marrying the right person they were going to do it. They had a short time and had to take advantage of it. I believe if the priest thought it was the right and best thing to do then there's nothing anyone can say or do about it. He must know what he is doing if he is so religious.

Overall, things are already done and you can't change them. I know that your parents only want the best for you but they were rivals. The priest believed that their rivalry shouldn't have interfered in their love. They should have put that aside to let them marry. When two people "love" each other they are going to do anything to be with each other at any cost. When Friar Lawrence wed the two it was to open the two families eyes but instead they were even more furious.
Back to top Go down
drzchula

drzchula

PostSubject: Friar Essay BY: Darline Rosa   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 pm

A friar is supposed to be a wise men, which chooses the right decisions. He’s suppose to make sense of his decisions. If you have noticed friars are judge differently, for example if a random person says something bad it won’t be the same as if friar says it. That’s the reason why people trust them, and believe in what they say. In this case the dilemma is if he should marry Romeo and Juliet secretly. I strongly believe the friar should not marry Romeo and Juliet with out the parents consent.

Why marry teens who don’t even know what they want in life? That’s the question many ask. If there love is so true why they don’t just leave each other alone to live in peace. They know there is too much going on with their families, and it’s easier to live with out each other, than to actually get together and fight when they don’t know if it’s going to work out.

Moreover, if the priest is not sure about doing something why doing it? He is not forced to do it, if he knows is not going to workout why bothering and doing it. I know that Romeo has always being there and that the priest should pay him back but I dont believe that’s the right time or situation. Plus, why making somebody life’s more complicated.

Further, I believe the Friar should know more about teens. He should know that even if it’s in our imaginations illusions exist, and they can be misunderstood. What about if that supposed love is only an illusion? That’s right, we need to come down to reality not to imagination because it won’t help you at all.

Over all, I believe that the Friar should not wed Romeo and Juliet. Getting married may be there biggest error. They should first think about it twice because once is not enough. It’s not a game or to have fun, is serious and they should be a little bit more responsible. Marrying should not be the solution to their problems. They should first solve and then celebrate. That makes better sense.

Back to top Go down
UberOwnage666
Co-admin
UberOwnage666

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:35 pm

I believe that the Friar had a very important part in the play. He had the choice of marrying Romeo and Juliet. He had a very hard choice to make though. Whether to marry or not to marry them. The choice he made I think was the right one. He did what was best for them. I don't think that he did anything wrong at all. I think if he hadn't married them then I think that he would have been going against his belief. For Romeo and Juliet them getting married was the best thing for them. It was actually what they wanted.

I believe I can compare the Friar to Bernie Madoff. Bernie Madoff was doing only what was best for him. He was trying to make money for himself in this difficult economy. This had consequences just like what the Friar did had consequences. The consequences for the Friars actions were Romeo and Juliet's parents would both be intensely mad at him and might disown them if they had ever found out. The consequences for Bernie Madoff was he harmed hundreds of people and mad them lose almost everything they owned. So they actually had an amazingly difficult choice for both of them. I believe the Bernie Madoff made the wrong choice but, I believe that the Friar made the right choice.

I think I can relate the Friar to myself also. I do what I need to do for myself. It may not be as drastic as what Bernie Madoff did. I think that usually I do what I want to do even if in the long run it isn't going to be helpful to me. At the time I do what I want to do because it is just who I am. I have never done what other people have really told me to do. I think that it is easier to to do what you want then to listen and do what someone else tells you to do. Bernie Madoff and the Friar also did exactly what that they wanted to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critical Lens Essay (Friar)   Critical Lens Essay (Friar) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Critical Lens Essay (Friar)
Page 1 of 1